VSL Synchron Pianos: German Upright 1904
Upright Piano Virtual Instrument
Vintage Character and Style
- C. Bechstein upright piano built in 1904
- Recorded at Stage B of Synchron Stage Vienna
- Eight microphone positions for a multitude of timbral variations
- Advanced release sample technology
- Pre-configured main presets, signature, and FX presets
This C. Bechstein upright piano was built in Berlin Kreuzberg in the early 20th century. Its distinctive vintage character, owing to its generous proportion of resonating wood, was captured with a multi-microphone setup at Synchron Stage Vienna's Stage B.
The upright's very smooth action allows the finest gradations from pianissimo to fortissimo.
In the main playing range, its sound is more reminiscent of a small concert grand than of an upright piano. With its clear and accurate tonal development, it conveys the intimate atmosphere of a small concert hall.
The instrument's mid-range is very pronounced and focused, while its ageless character clearly asserts itself in all registers.
Brought to Stuttgart by pianoforte maker and dealer B. Klinkerfuss, Württemberg's sole representative for C. Bechstein and J. Blüthner, the instrument has always been in residence with families in the Stuttgart area.
It was played by pianist and film composer Mick Baumeister, co-creator of the Hornberg breath controller, at different stages of his life.
The upright was owned by Martin Friz who taught a young Mick improvisation on this instrument.
Decades later, Mick purchased the piano from German actor Holger Daemgen's family, and, as he puts it, it never ceases to inspire him to find "the truth".
8 Microphone Positions
In order to capture the sound of this marvelous instrument, our recording engineers used multiple high-end microphone arrays, affording an abundance of options for creating your individual sound.
- 1. Close 1 - Condenser (Neumann KM184 Sphere, X/Y)
- 2. Mid 2 (Schoeps KFM6 over the piano)
- 3. Main/Room Mic - Decca Tree Stereo (DPA 4006)
- 4. Main/Room Mic - Decca Tree Mono (DPA 4006)
- 1. Close 1 - Condenser (Neumann KM184 Sphere, X/Y)
- 2. Close 2 - Ribbon (Royer SF24 Blumlein)
- 3. Close 3 - Condenser (Neumann U87 Ai Cardioids)
- 4. Mid 1 (Sennheiser MKH 40 ORTF behind the piano)
- 5. Mid 2 (Schoeps KFM6 over the piano)
- 6. Main/Room Mic - Decca Tree Stereo (DPA 4006)
- 7. Main/Room Mic - Decca Tree Mono (DPA 4006)
- 8. Main Surround - Stereo (Sennheiser MKH 800)
Customize Your Personal Sound
The German Upright 1904 comes with the free Vienna Synchron Pianos software that offers multiple options for shaping your sound and your playing experience.
In addition to the multitude of options for mixing various microphone signals, the player provides a full-blown mixer with a broad range of effects, such as EQ, compressor, saturator, algorithmic reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, rotary, and many more.
You may also adjust the volume of body resonances, sympathetic strings, and pedal noises right in the main Play window.
In the Edit window you can even tweak EQ, volume, tuning, dynamic range, and more for each individual key.
A host of mixer presets offer a wide variety of characteristics, directly accessible in the main player window, from concert and intimate settings to pop, ambient, and vintage sounds.
Various signature and experimental FX presets round out the preconfigured sonic gems the German Upright 1904 has in store.
To capture the sound of the instrument with all its subtleties, our engineers deployed a highly precise motion-control system based on a solenoid that controls a noise-free "robot finger".
The micro-controller moves the finger with super-human precision, providing flexible curvatures for down-strokes and release movements, the latter corresponding with the preceding note length and various release speeds.
- Sample Amount: 63,556
- Download File Size: 5.6GB
- Installed File Size: 63.6GB
- Sample Amount: 127,112
- Download File Size: 11.6GB
- Installed File Size: 135.9GB
- MacOS 10.13 High Sierra and above
- Windows 8.1 and above (64-bit only)
- Intel or AMD CPU
- 16GB RAM or more
- Free iLok account and iLok License Manager
- iLok Cloud and iLok USB licensing methods are supported
AAX Native, AU, VST2
Products with the Instant Delivery badge are in stock, and can be delivered to your email in seconds after you purchase.
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.
Get a free upgrade to RX10
This offer is valid until RX10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- RX9 Standard
- RX9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from any RX Standard, Advanced, or Post Production Suite
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX9 Advanced
- RX9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8, or Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX Post Production Suite 6
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-8
Only the upgrades and crossgrades specified above are eligible. All others listed apply to the full version of the product only. Education versions are not eligible.