Universal Audio API 2500 Bus Compressor
VCA Compressor Plugin
An Obsessively Accurate Emulation of API's Flagship Compressor
The API 2500 Bus Compressor is a permanent fixture on the stereo bus of many of the world's top engineers and producers.
Considered the best of the Paul Wolff-era API circuit designs, this famed compressor adds energy, movement, and tone to stereo mixes and subgroups unlike any other compressor.
The API 2500 Bus Compressor plug-in for UAD-2 hardware and Apollo interfaces is a spot-on emulation of this classic compressor, capturing its all-discrete signal path with Thrust circuitry - and features fanatically detailed modeling of API's custom transformers and 2510 and 2520 op-amps.
- Painstakingly modeled by Universal Audio's plugin design team, licensed and authenticated by Automated Processes, Inc.
- Glue together your stereo mixes and subgroups with the world's finest circuit emulation of the iconic API 2500 compressor
- Beloved Paul Wolff-era API design, exclusively measured from the all-discrete, in-console version of the 2500
- Provides the entire circuit path and control set of the API hardware including custom API op-amps and transformers
- Signature API 2500 features include patented Thrust sidechain filtering, "New" and "Old" Compressor Types, and Variable Sidechain Link
- Plug-in-only features include Dry/Wet parallel processing and Headroom for user-customizable operating level
- Select between "Old" and "New" compression, with feedback or feed-forward sounds
- Contour your mix's stereo interaction with percent-based L/R Link controls
- Mix with artist presets from Jeff Balding (Faith Hill), Vance Powell (Jack White), Ryan Hewitt (Red Hot Chili Peppers), and more
- UAD Native - Runs on your Mac or PC without UA hardware.
- Apollo Realtime & UAD‑2 - Runs accelerated on Apollo interfaces and UAD‑2 hardware.
The Only End-to-End API 2500 Emulation
Poring over proprietary "for-your-eyes-only" schematics made available to Universal Audio by API, our team of DSP experts analyzed two classic API 2500s - rackmount and in-console - ensuring one of UA's tightest behavioral circuit models to date.
Working together with API's engineers, we scrutinized every facet of the plug-in against its analog counterpart, delivering the definitive representation of this iconic compressor.
Early beta testing with UA artists confirmed that the plug-in ranks among the most accurate analog emulations in UA history.
Built for the 2-Bus
API designed the 2500 compressor with program material firmly in mind.
Its Release control includes fixed or variable options, while the Attack, Threshold, and Ratio controls offer musical tweaking throughout their range, making the API 2500 a toneful dynamics overlord for your stereo bus.
Shaping Tone and Dynamics
The API 2500 allows selection between three custom-voiced compression Knees - Soft, Medium, and Hard.
You can shape the tone further with two compression types; "Old" for characterful peak-detection harkening back to API's earliest, highly-coveted 525, or "New", which features a modern feed-forward design.
Thrust Control for Unmatched Punch
Taken from their Paragon series of consoles, the API 2500's Thrust feature puts a filter before the RMS detector, evening high and low-frequency energy - so neither triggers the compressor more than the other.
This gives you a tight hallmark API punch beyond any other compressor.
Enhance Energy and Motion
Most compressors only allow you to turn left/right linking on or off.
The API 2500 Bus Compressor Link parameters allow for precision control of your mix's L/R dynamic interaction.
Set exactly how much dependence - or independence - you want your L/R spatial dynamics field to have, and hone your dynamic contours even further with the Shape control.
- MacOS 10.15 Catalina and above
- Windows 10 and above (64-bit only)
- Intel, AMD, or Apple Silicon CPU
- Free iLok account and iLok License Manager
- iLok Cloud and iLok USB licensing methods are supported