UJAM Virtual Drummer Brute
Rock Drummer Virtual Instrument
For Rock, Grunge, Punk, and Crossover Styles
Contemporary hard-and-heavy music genres driven by a very specific drumming style: loud, wild, edgy and cutting through the mix. Both drum sounds and playing are rooted in aesthetics invented about two decades ago. Virtual Drummer BRUTE features the essential sounds and styles from Grunge to Nu-Metal.
In a nutshell: BRUTE is the Virtual Drummer for you, if HEAVY 2 is too Metal-ish and SOLID 2 not rocking hard enough.
- 5 genre-specific drum kits
- 6 mix Presets
- 31 playing Styles, each with 23 phrases
From Seattle with
In the early 1990s, a guitar-heavy new musical category set out to conquer the hearts and ears of the audience. A new generation of artists would unleash distorted guitars, angry drums, and bucketloads of attitude onto an audience that was suddenly keen to rock out again. Influenced by classic rock of the 1960s and ‘70s, and in opposition to the synthetic aesthetics of the prior decade, bands like Rage Against The Machine, Nirvana, Soundgarden, or Alice in Chains popularized the next incarnation of Rock music. Its playbook is still today the go-to for guitar-heavy hard rocking styles.
Punchy, Crisp Character
What makes BRUTE special? First and foremost it has been designed, recorded and processed to do one thing really well: Compete with layered walls of distorted guitars while maintaining character and detail. This was a tricky challenge… The solution was to record with three different sets of microphones that emphasize different aspects of the drum sound.
Each of the three microphone sets has a specific sonic purpose:
The vintage Sennheiser MD21 from the 1960s emphasizes the attack transients. The source signal was processed with a Manley Voxbox.
Vintage tube and ribbon overhead mics. This is where the character is captured. All the organic noise and resonances that give a warm, coarse and natural quality.
Modern high-spec Schoeps microphones that capture the sound ‘as is’. With as little colorization and distortion as possible. For an expensive and glossy character.
Using the Smack and Grit controls, you can adjust and blend these different characteristics seamlessly to find the perfect mix:
Smack: Turns up the clicky microphone to make the sound cut through the mix.
Grit: Blends between 2) and 3): Basically adjusting how clean or dirty your signal sounds.
The five drum kits in BRUTE have been composed with specific styles in mind.
- DARK - The Stoner: Fat, wide, lower tuning. Slow-roll with this!
- DIRTY - The Punk: short and punchy for aggressive double-time fun.
- TIGHT - The Crossover: More expression and detail, using e.g. a high-tuned piccolo snare.
- NOBLE - The Radio Rocker: Full-bodied, refined and punchy, for alternative anthems.
- PRIME - The Mainstreamer: Superb and well balanced for sold-out stadiums and rock royalty.
Mix Presets shape the overall sound by swapping out an entire multi-bus effect chain for every channel under the hood. Saves you time and nerves wrestling with the bus system of your DAW.
- Gentle: Polished and pleasant, use this for ballads or power pop.
- Slam: For that garage sound, too much compression. Pumping & cranked.
- Bite: Less bass, more lower mids, aggressive.
- Crush: Distortion and saturation, think tape machine and valve distortion.
- Bounce: More warmth, modern, Hip-hop-inspired. Sound-designed by Richie Beretta in NYC.
- Wide: Stadium-Rock, big and expensive, more subtleties, less punch.
- MacOS 10.11 El Capitan or above
- Windows 7 or above (64-bit only)
- 4GB RAM or more
- 3.1 GB free storage space
- 1280x768px screen resolution or higher
AAX Native, AU2, VST2
AU 2 version compatible with Logic Pro X and newer.
If you want to move your .blob file to an external drive, we recommend the use of a SSD to prevent dropouts.