Tape Emulation Plugin
Satin: Luscious Tape Machine
Nothing else sounds quite like tape. Satin puts the legacy of tape recording in your hands: from top-of-the-line multi-track consoles to humble cassette decks. All the good (saturation, transient smoothing, compression) as well as the bad (noise modulation, flutter, hiss) qualities are under your control. Construct your (im)perfect tape machine.
- Lush analog tape sound
- Includes historical developments in tape technology
- Control up to 8 instances of Satin at once using the Group panel
- 5 popular noise reduction encoder / decoder models
- Service panel: Controls for hiss, wow and flutter, bias, head gap, azimuth, saturation, high frequency compression and more
- Modern or vintage tape material
- Internal sample rate up to 384kHz
- 5 circuit models for recording and reproduction EQs
- Stereo delay mode (2 or 4 heads) with multiple-mono, cross or ping-pong routing
- Tape flange mode with classic through-zero flanging
- Adjustable tape speed from 1.87 to 30ips
- Pre-emphasis and soft clipping options
- Preset browser with search functions
- NKS FX compatible
- Resizable UI from 70% to 200%
- Skinnable UI
- 120+ factory presets
Once reserved for major studios, digital recording has become widespread. It offers pristine sound and comfortable editing at a fraction of the cost of multitrack tape. Despite all the advantages, however, digital audio can easily sound too clean and impersonal. So musicians, producers and audio engineers have turned to traditional analogue tools to bring some life back into overly clinical recordings. A world of non-linear behaviors, distortion, saturation and much more arises during tape recording and playback. Bringing these coveted characteristics of magnetic tape into the digital realm, in unprecedented quality - this is what Satin is all about.
That tape sound depends on interaction between the various parts of a tape machine. Each contributes in one way or another - enhancing, reducing, combining - to generate the final sound.
Satin models individual components and lets them interact in the same way. For maximum flexibility in sound shaping, Satin is a toolkit of alternative parts, not an emulation of a single machine. Build your own custom tape unit. The perfect final sheen for your mixdown, or "glue" multiple drum tracks together, decode old NR-encoded cassette tape, or misuse Satin for extreme effects.
Delay and Flange
After developing the components for a tape machine toolkit, our minds turned other popular tape-based machines. Delay and flange immediately jumped to mind.
Delay mode lets you construct your own tape delay machine rather than emulate any specific model. A few clicks and you will be deep in echo in no time. Choose between two or four "tape heads", adjust tape speed, select tape material, turn up the feedback, select signal routing, add some filtering. You can add motion to each individual "tape head" for a more organic feel. Tweak the Service Panel options and give your sound the characteristic shimmer of a classic tape echo.
Flange mode emulates the special technique of running identical recordings on two tape machines, then lightly pressing a finger on the reels to move the recordings in and out of phase. It was a skill that required patience and light touch. Luckily, Satin now makes it much easier and faster, all at the press of a button. For longer flanging effects or more precise control you can use the slider, either manually or automated.
Imagine opening up a tape machine, peeking "under the hood" and tinkering with the parts. That is what service technicians used to do, and it is what the Service Panel in Satin is for. It gives you detailed control over some of the more esoteric and characterful elements.
In the Tape section are perhaps the more readily identifiable attributes of tape recording: hiss, asperity, wow & flutter, crosstalk and bias. Dial in a little of each for a retro vibe or "glue". Dial in the extreme settings and you can end up with the sound of poor quality tape left in someone's basement far too long.
The Repro Head(s) parameters control the physical attributes of the tape heads. With Gap Width and Bump you can cut or boost certain frequencies and introduce resonances and fluctuations. Azimuth pushes the audio off-centre for interesting spatial effects, mimicking a skewed tape head.
Finally the Circuit section lets you change the inner EQ circuitry. Included are various industry standard EQ curves, should you want to mimic specific machines. But Satin goes a step further by allowing independent selection of the recording and reproduction EQ curves. Which you can abuse for weird processing effects, or to correct EQ errors in old recordings.
Selectable Compander and Circuit settings make Satin useful as a format converter.
If you have a tape recording with an unsuitable EQ, using Circuit’s independent RecEQ and ReproEQ selectors you can set a new target EQ curve and make changes. Similarly, Compander can handle audio recorded with specific noise reduction (NR) encodings. Just run it through Satin with Decoder set to match the known NR encoding type.
- MacOS 10.9 and above
- Windows 7 and above
- Intel i5 / AMD FX / Apple M1 CPU or better
- Compatible host DAW software
- Mac: AAX Native, AU, VST2, VST3 (all 64-bit only)
- Windows: AAX Native, VST2, VST3 (32 or 64-bit)
AAX version not currently compatible with Apple Silicon.
AAX requires Pro Tools 10.3.7 or later.
Satin is Native Instruments NKS-ready and compatible with Maschine and Komplete Kontrol hardware.
Products with the Instant Delivery badge are in stock, and can be delivered to your email in seconds after you purchase.
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.
Get a free upgrade to RX10
This offer is valid until RX10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- RX9 Standard
- RX9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from any RX Standard, Advanced, or Post Production Suite
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX9 Advanced
- RX9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8, or Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX Post Production Suite 6
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-8
Only the upgrades and crossgrades specified above are eligible. All others listed apply to the full version of the product only. Education versions are not eligible.
Get a free upgrade to Ozone 10
This offer is valid until Ozone 10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- Ozone 9 Standard
- Ozone 9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- Ozone 9 Standard - Upgrade from Ozone 5-8 Standard or Advanced
- Ozone 9 Advanced
- Ozone 9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- Ozone 9 Advanced - Upgrade from Ozone 5-8 Advanced
- Mix & Master Bundle Advanced
- Mix & Master Bundle Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- Mix & Master Bundle Advanced - Upgrade from Ozone 1-9 Standard
- Music Production Suite 5 Universal Edition
- Music Production Suite 5 Universal Edition - Upgrade from Music Production Suite 4.1
- iZotope Everything Bundle - Upgrade from Music Production Bundle or Music Production Suite 1-4