Tracktion BioTek 2
Synthesizer Virtual Instrument
A powerhouse sampling and synthesis workstation offering unlimited sound design in a unique and inspirational environment - evolve your own sound.
In a world full of virtual instruments, BioTek was designed to be different from the ground up. Not only is the engine more capable than existing offerings, but the choice to use natural and environmental samples gave the instrument its unique character. The user interface was designed to allow rapid access to inspirational parameters via macro controls on the main 'Wild' page whilst also presenting access to the deep editing environment. Extensive modulation and modifier routes are intuitively assigned and all parameters are available for DAW automation. Dive into the weird and wonderful immersive world of BioTek.
Spinal Saw Oscillator
The unique ‘Spinal Saw’ oscillator allows you to have up to 11 detuned sawtooth waves within a single oscillator. Considering BioTek features 4 oscillators per voice, this gives you a total of 44 sawteeth per sound layer - and you can have unlimited sound layers per patch. Perfect for making thick leads, huge pads and rumbling synth basses - unleash the beast.
The BioTek 2 granular oscillator extracts sound grains from the sample of your choice and redistributes them into dense clouds, scattered drops or any density in-between. This allows you to create everything from uniquely textured musical instruments to otherworldly soundscapes. The oscillator itself provides a useful visual reference for how the grains relate to the source sample, showing playback position and pitch relationships. The BioTek 2 granular oscillator brings a mighty storm surge of synthesis to an already powerful engine.
Deep Parameter Control
BioTek’s unlimited engine can scale to literally tens of thousands of parameters so managing the workflow is key. The intuitive system for importing your own samples and promoting parameters to the main 'Wild' macro page allows you to quickly construct your own instrument. The customizable 'Wild' page macro controls are immediately accessible to your DAW automation and new in version 2 is the ability to also access the entire parameter list from the deep editing pages. You have unprecedented control over all the instruments sound-shaping tools.
No synthesizer is complete without a comprehensive filtering and effects section. BioTek has a full complement of both - 9 high-quality effects can be loaded into 4 effect slots per voice allowing for extensive creative sound shaping. Filtering is also extremely flexible with numerous types to choose from, now including Transistor Ladder and Sallen-Key in BioTek 2 - sculpt your sound with surgical precision.
BioTek features 4 oscillators per sound layer capable of creating multiple forms of synthesis: FM Synthesis, Virtual Analog, Sample Playback, Karplus-Strong, and now also Granular and the unique Spinal Saw. With unlimited sound layers per patch, you can create simple or extremely complex, expressive instruments.
A Breath Of Life
BioTek takes modulation to the next level – it features 200 modulation routes and 32 modifier routes performing mathematical functions on the modulation sources. It also features 8 unique Flow LFOs, each with 8 individual parallel syncable sub LFOs on every sound layer. With so much routing available, it is possible to program "life", organic randomness, into your sounds.
BioTek’s signature ‘Wild’ macro page allows you to rapidly explore each sound patch with surprising depth. The stunning central XY control is typically assigned to numerous sound-shaping parameters allowing for immediate and sometimes extreme manipulations. While the unique ‘Flow LFOs’ invite you to dynamically perform variations in the modulation assignments. Each patch is individually designed to present the most interesting sound-shaping tools right at your fingertips, then dive deep into the editing pages to fully customize your sound.
All About The Sound
All instruments are not created equal! BioTek’s codebase was skillfully created by the industry veteran, Wolfram Franke who refined his craft designing a long list of instruments for Waldorf Music – revered for their outstanding depth of sound. Sculpting this beast into weird and wonderful soundscapes has been the task of some of the most prominent sound designers of our day – led by Taiho Yamada and most recently adding electronic experimental guru Richard Devine, the factory patch list has swelled to over 500 deeply creative sonic experiments.
BioTek introduces an entirely new synthesizer playground. Combining organic natural and environmental samples with a world-class synthesis engine and inspirational user interface, inviting users to dig deep into the world of digital modular synthesis.
- Spinal Saw Oscillator Type with up to 11 sawtooth oscillators in one, with FM and in-oscillator sync
- Granular Sample Oscillator Type, with FM
- Transistor Ladder Filter Type with 6, 12, 18 and 24 dB lowpass characteristic and resonance up to self-oscillation for all slopes
- Sallen-Key Filter Type with 12 dB lowpass characteristic
- Automation of all parameters (some hosts might be limited to first sound layer)
- Dedicated browser page with filters for author, category, style, timbre and full-text search
- Assign Source Info Menus showing where a modulation source is assigned to
- 500+ factory patches
- 4 virtual analog/sample playback oscillators
- 4 operator FM synthesis (can use samples)
- Sync, Ring Mod, PWM, waveshaping
- 2 multimode filters in series with distortion and EQ
- Filter Types: 4-pole & 2-pole LP, BP, HP, BS (Notch) 1-pole LP, HP Comb (Tuned Delay for Karplus Strong) Redux (SR, Bit Reducer)
- 200 modulation routes, 32 modifier routes (performing mathematical functions on the modulation sources), assignable GUI macro controls
- 8 Flow LFOs (each with 8 individual parallel syncable sub LFOs)
- 4 effects in series
- Effects Types: Reverb Delay Compressor/Limiter Distortion Chorus Flanger Phaser Redux
- 4 envelopes (can be up to 32 stages with looping sustain and release sections, curvatures for each stage)
- Sample import (Osc), MID file import (Arp)
All above features are for a single sound layer (unlimited layers can be created for a single patch).
Requires a DAW host software to run and 1.3GB available disk space.
- macOS 10.9 or Later
- Windows 7, 8, 10
- Tested on Ubuntu 16.04
- Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz Processor
- 2GB RAM (8GB Recommended)
Products with the Instant Delivery badge are in stock, and can be delivered to your email in seconds after you purchase.
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.
Get a free upgrade to RX10
This offer is valid until RX10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- RX9 Standard
- RX9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from any RX Standard, Advanced, or Post Production Suite
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX9 Advanced
- RX9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8, or Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX Post Production Suite 6
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-8
Only the upgrades and crossgrades specified above are eligible. All others listed apply to the full version of the product only. Education versions are not eligible.