5-mode Distortion Plugin
Analog Saturation Modeler
Saturation - it's the essence of what makes analog hardware sound so musical and pleasing to the ears.
The sound of tubes, transistors, and circuitry being pushed to the limit has long been the key ingredient in great-sounding analog recordings.
Engineers use saturation to beef things up, thin them out, give them an edge, add warmth, pull elements out of the mix, and create signature sounds.
From the very subtle to the extreme, analog saturation is an integral part of great mixes.
That's why Soundtoys took their time, studied all the great analog classics, and painstakingly created a plug-in that brings the best of analog saturation to your digital studio.
With five different analog saturation models to choose from, Decapitator is perfect for adding character to every kind of track and instrument in your mixes.
Soundtoys has also included a modeled tone control that lets you shape the saturated sound.
Plus a mix control that lets you blend in some dry signal for parallel processing without the need for routing and sub-mixes.
Combine all of this with the flexibility and reliability of a Soundtoys plug-in, and you've got the best of analog and digital together in one essential effect.
Decapitator is not just a simple approximation of the analog sound, Soundtoys worked hard to capture the feel of analog gear.
Not a static snapshot, but a changing responsive model of all those tubes, wires and transistors.
That means you can hear subtle changes as Decapitator reacts to a track and follows the dynamics of an instrument. That's what analog is all about.
In creating Decapitator, Soundtoys collected and analyzed both vintage and modern hardware - consoles, preamps, input channels, EQs, compressors and studio distortion units.
They picked the pieces of gear they felt had the most distinctive sound and had unique character when used both subtly and at extremes.
Then they created painstakingly accurate models and made them instantly accessible.
By adding an analog-modeled tone control and mix knob, they've opened up the sonic potential of these models even more.
Decapitator is capable of some wonderfully subtle sounds, but Soundtoys know that sometimes subtle just won't do it.
That's why they've added the Punish button, which kicks in an extra chunk of gain to push Decapitator over the edge.
When you drive it hard it reacts just like great analog gear - it screams in pain.
Not fizzy stomp-box distortion, Decapitator gives you those unique qualities that only come from driving high-end studio gear.
Each model has its own sound of beautiful agony when you hit the Punish button and crank it up.
Try it on vocals, drums, guitars, synths - anything that sounds a little too polite!
- Infuse your tracks with the natural vibe of analog gear
- Get real, dynamic analog saturation with 5 detailed models of studio hardware
- Push your tracks over the top with the Punish button
- Shape the contour of the saturation with analog-modeled tone control
- Create parallel effects simply with the mix knob
- MacOS 10.12 Sierra and above
- Windows 7 and above (64-bit only)
- Intel, AMD, or Apple Silicon CPU
- Free iLok account and iLok License Manager
- iLok Machine and iLok USB licensing methods are supported
AAX Native, AU, VST2, and VST3
Products with the Instant Delivery badge are in stock, and can be delivered to your email in seconds after you purchase.
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.
Get a free upgrade to RX10
This offer is valid until RX10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- RX9 Standard
- RX9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from any RX Standard, Advanced, or Post Production Suite
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX9 Advanced
- RX9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8, or Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX Post Production Suite 6
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-8
Only the upgrades and crossgrades specified above are eligible. All others listed apply to the full version of the product only. Education versions are not eligible.