Eventide Instant Phaser MKII
Own the First Studio Phaser
Released in 1972, the Eventide Instant Phaser began the studio effects revolution by successfully simulating tape flanging, an effect that’s been at the core of legendary albums for the last five decades. Modeled on the original hardware unit, the Instant Phaser Mk II plug-in accomplishes the same legendary sound with all the analog personality, smooth modulations, and inherent musicality. The capabilities have been expanded, and now you can even take your phaser on an excursion from the 70s far into the future with the delightfully characteristic “Age” knob. Outfitted with a complete host of control options, the Instant Phaser Mk II is out of the rack and into your plugin arsenal.
Aged not Old
The Instant Phaser Mk II perfectly captures the unique, imprecise analog character of the original hardware. During development we discovered that the values of some of the components change with age; they drift further and further from their marked values. The result is that an Instant Phaser which has been powered up for years will sound different than it did on day one. The new plug-in features an innovative Age knob, which allows you simulate this aging of the components of the phase shift networks and the LFO. Once we started down this path, in a salute to entropy, we decided to extrapolate far into the future.
The Instant Phaser Mk II offers three different sonic characteristics that change the amount of phase-shift sections, simply labeled "Shallow", "Deep", and "Wide". When “Wide” is selected, the Instant Phaser Mk II gives you a different amount of phase-shifting on both right and left channels, resulting in a slightly different effect in each ear. You can use this to turn flat mono guitars into huge stereo leads, or make your single channel synthesizer fill out the sides of your mix.
- Add Age for component drift with time
- Offers three different flavors of phasing with the Mode switch: Shallow, Deep, and Wide
- Utilize one of four distinct methods to control the phasing
- Depth allows you to combine the phased signal with the dry signal
- Added Side Chain function allows you to trigger the Envelope Follower from a separate source in the mix for inter-track mingling
- Exercise total control of the Oscillator with Sync and Retrig controls
- Use Feedback control for a more pronounced sound
- Includes standard gain input and output
Different Ways to Phase
The Instant Phaser allows four distinct methods to control the phasing:
- Manual allows precise automation of the phasing.
- Oscillator modulates the phasing at a constant rate that you decide.
- Envelope changes the phase whenever your signal passes the specified threshold. The plugin accepts a side chain input for this control method.
- Remote maps the phasing control to a modwheel for tactile manipulation.
The Story of Pioneering a Household Modulation Effect
Historically, the terms "phasing" and "flanging" were used interchangeably, and described an arduous process whereby the output of two slightly offset tape recorders were mixed together. Eventide’s debut effect, the Instant Phaser, was the first studio rackmount effect box to accomplish a similar sound. Because of this, the original manual spent a decent amount of words introducing the idea of the phaser effect and its purpose, explaining, "The Eventide Clockworks Instant Phaser was designed specifically to eliminate the costly and tedious job of setting up and implementing the special effect known as 'phasing' or 'flanging'. In addition one can electronically control it to produce new and desirable effects."
At the heart of what made that original tape flanging sound was a dry signal combined with a slightly delayed signal. When the Instant Phaser was designed, there was no such technology to achieve delay artificially. This being the case, the effect was only able to approximate the sonic quality of tape flanging by using allpass networks. The sound is similar but is created by using a method that is fundamentally different.
A few years after the Instant Phaser hit the market, the Instant Flanger made its debut. The Instant Flanger manual delved into the differences between the electronic processes of phasing and flanging, and said about phasing, "Since its invention or discovery in the mid-1960s, the special effect known as 'phasing' or 'flanging' has been one of the most popular additions to the mixer's repertoire. Phasing was introduced to the mass audience in the song "Itchycoo Park" by Small Faces and has been used (yes, and overused) to some extent by virtually every artist since that time."
- MacOS 10.9 Mavericks - 12 Monterey
- Windows 8 - 11
- Intel, AMD, or Apple Silicon CPU
- Free iLok account and iLok License Manager
- AAX Native, AU, VST2, VST3 (all 64-bit only)
Native Apple Silicon compatibility for all formats except AAX.
- MacOS 10.9 Mavericks and above
- Windows 8 and above (64-bit only)
- Intel, AMD or Apple Silicon CPU
- Free iLok account and iLok License Manager
- iLok Machine and iLok USB licensing methods are supported
Products with the Instant Delivery badge are in stock, and can be delivered to your email in seconds after you purchase.
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.
Get a free upgrade to RX10
This offer is valid until RX10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- RX9 Standard
- RX9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from any RX Standard, Advanced, or Post Production Suite
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX9 Advanced
- RX9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8, or Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX Post Production Suite 6
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-8
Only the upgrades and crossgrades specified above are eligible. All others listed apply to the full version of the product only. Education versions are not eligible.