Delta Sound Labs Fold
Wavefolding/Distortion Synthesis Plugin
Fold is a distortion synthesis audio effect plug-in that only the engineers at Delta Sound Labs could dream up.
Calling on their background in modular hardware design, the team has found a novel approach to creating warmth and distortion in software.
By using an assortment of modules in an in-series FX chain, Fold imbues input signals with harmonically rich overtones and, if pushed to the extremes, completely transforms them with a unique form of distortion.
At the heart of Fold is its wavefolding engine.
First pioneered by synth legend Don Buchla, wavefolding is the act of folding a wave back on itself after reaching a given threshold.
While this naturally produces distortion and harmonics, Fold also includes a bit crusher module to further smash the input signal.
Fold's combination of oversampling, distortion, and wavefolding results in tones that are timbrally rich on one hand, and over-the-top destroyed on the other, even with simple periodic input signals.
To tame the sound, Fold comes with an analog emulation of a resonant low-pass filter that offers more control over any unhinged results.
Each parameter is also syncable to its own LFO, each with an amount slider and may be synced to a host tempo within a DAW for more creative sound design and mixing effects.
Fold also ships with a number of professionally designed presets that showcase the versatility of its engine.
- Hard and Soft Clip Distortion Morphing
- Bit Crushing
- Analog Low and High Pass Filter Emulations
- Four Syncable LFOs with Mappable Phase Reset Buttons
- Local Mix Sliders on Each Module
- Three LFO Waveform Types
- Mono and Stereo Processing
- Switchable Oversampling
- Factory and User Presets
- On/off buttons for Drive, Fold, Crush, and Low Pass filter sections
- Local mix sliders for Drive, Fold, Crush, and Low Pass filter sections
- Drive/Fold Link button to allow concurrent use of both parameters with one slider
- FX is now a true Dry/Wet control
- Envelope follower to control FX amount relative to the peak amplitude of the audio input
- Hard sync/phase lock for LFO sections
- Visual feedback for LFO rate
- Oversampling factor UI
- Output volume graphical UI slider
- Stereo spread feature for use with true stereo inputs
- MacOS 10.13 High Sierra and above
- Windows 10 and above (32 and 64-bit)
- Intel, AMD, or Apple Silicon CPU
AAX Native, AU, VST3