606 Drum Machine Virtual Instrument
Nithonat is a fully synthesized drum machine based on the classic 606. Its unique sound has snuck its way over the years into productions spanning Electro, Hip-Hop, RnB, and Pop. Here at D16 we re-created a legend with virtual perfection, and then expanded on it with essential features, exclusive to Nithonat.
On the original 606, the only sound parameter was volume. In order for it to stand up to the flexibility of its bigger siblings (Ie the 808 and 909), we implemented extra controls which allow each sound to be shaped in ways never before accomplished by the original.
A whole spectrum of sounds is now at your fingertips – rumbling kicks, barky snares, and completely unique, ear-grabbing toms and hi-hats. For the first time since its release in the 80s, you can explore what the 606 would have truly been capable of!
One of A Kind
Nithonat was designed completely from the ground up. Its synthesis is special – even when compared to Nepheton's. It has very unique and characteristic hi-hat and cymbal sounds which are due to the emulated structure of the circuits in the original. The bass drum has unparalleled attack character and strong punch. The snare sounds sandy.
These unique attributes guarantee that our 606 is not a sub-standard 808 but is a great instrument with a unique timbre that will bring an old-school feel to any track it is used on.
Nithonat was designed from the ground up not only as a 1-to-1 emulator but as a standalone instrument in its own right. Its synthesis is quite special – even compared to our other offerings such as Nepheton. Its quirky, characteristic hi-hat and cymbal sounds come from emulating the exact structure of the original circuits.
The untouched bass drum has tons of attack and character, but add to that our exclusive 'Tune', 'Attack', and 'Decay' parameters and you’ll be packing your mix with more kick than hot-sauce covered in ghost peppers. We followed the same ethos in emulating the snare; all the familiarities of the original, but with the added 'Tune', 'Tone', and 'Snappy' controls for a snare that really grounds a track and creates a sonic palette ready for production.
These unique attributes guarantee that our 606 is not just some awkward 808 stuck in a teenage phase. It stands apart with old-school timbres, squeezing its vibe to any track whether it's Progressive House or RnB.
Beauty in Flexibility
Nithonat has a powerful built-in internal sequencer with a clean GUI and simple, intuitive controls. In addition to having many internal sequencer modes, Nithonat can also be used as a sound module. All sounds and functions within Nithonat can be controlled via your host DAW, offering creative, familiar results. Operation of Nithonat is very similar to Drumazon and Nepheton - so if you’ve already delved into our previous instruments you can skip reading the manual!
- Fully synthesized drum sounds - no samples, more flexibility.
- Additional parameters to get never-before control over each module.
Multiple operation modes:
- External mode (Drum MIDI triggers the modules)
- Internal sequencer (patterns trigger the modules)
- 8 banks with 12 patterns per bank
- Each pattern up to 16 steps of length
- Each pattern defined with one of four available measures
- Shuffle mode
- Trigger out
- Global accent track
- Tap mode
- Chain mode
- Shuffle (swing) and tempo values defined per pattern
- Built-in randomizer
- Patterns import/export via human-readable XML files
Two modes of synchronization:
- Precise synchronization to the host tempo
- Synchronization to internal clock - tempo controlled in the range 30-300 BPM (+-0.1)
- Mutes/solos for each instrument (affect triggering not just the signal)
- 8 individual outputs available
- Drum kits organized into groups
- Quick MIDI learn function
- 64bit internal processing
- MacOS 10.7 Lion - 10.15 Catalina
- NOT compatible with Big Sur
- Intel 1.5GHz CPU or better
- 4GB RAM or more
- AU and VST formats (32 and 64-bit)
- Windows 7 - 10
- 1.5GHz CPU or better
- 4GB RAM or more
- VST format only (32 and 64-bit)
Check D16's full compatibility chart here
- MacOS 10.7 Lion and above
- Windows 7 and above (32 and 64-bit)
- Intel or AMD CPU
- 4GB RAM or more (8GB or more recommended)
AU and VST2