Universal Audio dbx 160 Compressor/Limiter
VCA Compressor Plugin
Iconic VCA compressor with all the punch and quirk of the vintage hardware
The dbx 160 Compressor/Limiter plugin is a fully licensed, faithful emulation of the legendary dbx 160 hardware - the most sonically distinct iteration of dbx's cherished line of audio compressors.
Capturing the signature quickness and quirky circuit-level nuances of a sourced "golden unit", now with added controls for modern workflows, the UAD dbx 160 plug‑in boasts sonic authenticity all its own, bringing classic solid‑state VCA compression into a new age.
- Add a unique voice and flavor to your compressor toolkit with the first solid-state VCA compressor ever made
- Give acoustic guitars and snare drums in‑your‑face thwack"
- Harness fat compression textures on bass guitar, drum buses, synths, and more
- Create with Dry/Wet mix control for quick parallel compression and Sidechain Filter for reduced low-frequency pumping
- UAD Native - Runs on your Mac or PC without UA hardware (AAX, AU, VST3)
- Apollo Realtime & UAD-2 - Runs accelerated on Apollo interfaces and UAD‑2 hardware (AAX, AU, VST2)
Versatile VCA Compression
Whether you’re using it on synths, bass guitar, or a drum bus, the dbx 160 plug‑in emulates the original hardware's grabby, low‑end glue.
With old‑school character for days, the plug-in version features all of the same unique nonlinearities that make it a must-have for any engineer's compressor toolkit.
Simple to Use, Timeless Character
With the same simple control set and at‑a‑glance metering of the original, the dbx 160 plug‑in makes it easy to crush a parallel drum bus, or inject subtle fatness.
It can also add aggressiveness and impact to everything from guitar power chords to a hip‑hop vocal.
Leveled Up for Modern Workflows
Along with graphic enhancements and improved VU metering, the dbx 160 plug‑in's Dry/Wet Mix control lets you easily punch up a drum bus with parallel compression, while the added Sidechain Filter lets you keep the low end tight, enhancing the compressor's impact.
- MacOS 10.15 Catalina and above
- Windows 10 and above (64-bit only)
- Intel, AMD, or Apple Silicon CPU
- Free iLok account and iLok License Manager
- iLok Cloud and iLok USB licensing methods are supported