Puremix Tutorials: Fab Dupont How To Listen - SSL Compressor Edition
In the latest edition of the How To Listen series, award-winning engineer Fab Dupont explains one of the most famous compressors of all time, the SSL Bus Compressor.
Known for its predestined use on the 2 bus of SSL consoles, it was quickly revered by many engineers as the secret glue for mixes. Fast forward 30 years, and there is a myriad of emulations in both the hardware and software domains, and it continues to find its way on to countless productions.
In this tutorial, Fab explains:
- The controls of the SSL Buss Compressor
- What an I/O Loop Insert is so that you can hear the tonal impact of going through converters when using hardware inserts
- How to calibrate levels when using external hardware for a fair level matched comparison
- The effect of Pan Law
- Multiple styles of compression on the 2 Bus, Drum Bus, and Synth Bass, giving you a wide range of options with one compressor.
- How to listen to the differences between the hardware and different software emulations.
After you have seen the video, download the presets Fab creates in the video and the example files to put what Fab taught you to use.
Products with the Instant Delivery badge are in stock, and can be delivered to your email in seconds after you purchase.
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.
Get a free upgrade to RX10
This offer is valid until RX10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- RX9 Standard
- RX9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from any RX Standard, Advanced, or Post Production Suite
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX9 Advanced
- RX9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8, or Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX Post Production Suite 6
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-8
Only the upgrades and crossgrades specified above are eligible. All others listed apply to the full version of the product only. Education versions are not eligible.
Get a free upgrade to Ozone 10
This offer is valid until Ozone 10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- Ozone 9 Standard
- Ozone 9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- Ozone 9 Standard - Upgrade from Ozone 5-8 Standard or Advanced
- Ozone 9 Advanced
- Ozone 9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- Ozone 9 Advanced - Upgrade from Ozone 5-8 Advanced
- Mix & Master Bundle Advanced
- Mix & Master Bundle Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- Mix & Master Bundle Advanced - Upgrade from Ozone 1-9 Standard
- Music Production Suite 5 Universal Edition
- Music Production Suite 5 Universal Edition - Upgrade from Music Production Suite 4.1
- iZotope Everything Bundle - Upgrade from Music Production Bundle or Music Production Suite 1-4