Puremix Tutorials: F. Reid Shippen Mixing Dierks Bentley
Grammy Award Winning Engineer, Mixer, and Producer, F. Reid Shippen, has made a name for himself in the mixing world through working with some of the world’s most respected artists across a wide variety of genres.
You can hear his work on records from Death Cab For Cutie, Cage The Elephant, Neil Young, The Jonas Brothers, Backstreet Boys, Eric Church, Johnny Lang, Chris Tomlin, Dierks Bentley, and the list goes on.
In this Puremix Exclusive, F. Reid Shippen opens the multitrack of Dierks Bentley's "Drunk On A Plane" to dissect the choices he and the producers made during the production and remixes the song in front of you to explain his thought process, workflow, and techniques that have helped him achieve success as a first call mixing engineer.
Learn how Reid:
- Sets up his sessions before he starts mixing
- Engineered the drum session
- Turns a single shout vocal into a crowd chant
- Adds multiple layers of drum samples to create powerful tones that cut through the mix
- Uses the Haas effect and spatial processors like Crystalizer and the Cooper Time Cube to extend guitar elements outside of the speakers
- Creates Ambience using Drum Room Mics and Drum Samples
- Sidechains Background vocal effects to the dry send to avoid masking the dry signal.
- And learn his philosophies on work hours and working with assistants.
Products with the Instant Delivery badge are in stock, and can be delivered to your email in seconds after you purchase.
Products with education pricing are for students & teachers only. To prove your education status we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proofStudent
Student ID Card, Letter of enrollment, or similarTeacher/Lecturer
Teacher ID Card, Lecturer ID Card, Payslip, Letter from the school/college
Education proof is submitted to the manufacturer and is accepted at their discretion.
Digital Download Info
Digital Products are delivered electronically via Email. No physical product will be shipped to you!
In most cases, the product you purchase from us is a serial number/license code/activation code to register the product with the manufacturer and download directly from them. This ensures you receive the latest version of products, and the best support when neccessary.
The email you receive from us after purchase will contain the license code and a link to our Install Instructions page. You can visit that page by clicking here: Install Instructions.
This crossgrade is for owners of a competing DAW. To prove your DAW ownership, we require that you upload proof in the form of an image/PDF.
Types of proof
A copy of your purchase receipt for the original license or the most recent update/upgrade
A screenshot of your product registration
A photo of your package (either CD/DVD or printed manual), with the unique serial number included in the photo.
Get a free upgrade to RX10
This offer is valid until RX10's release.
Purchase one of the following products:
- RX9 Standard
- RX9 Standard - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from any RX Standard, Advanced, or Post Production Suite
- RX9 Standard - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX9 Advanced
- RX9 Advanced - Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8, or Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX9 Advanced - Upgrade from RX Elements/Plugin Pack
- RX Post Production Suite 6
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-5
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Advanced 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Standard 1-8
- RX Post Production Suite 6 - Upgrade from RX Post Production Suite 1-8
Only the upgrades and crossgrades specified above are eligible. All others listed apply to the full version of the product only. Education versions are not eligible.